Porting my Volvo 16v head.

Diskussioner för erfaret folk
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Porting my Volvo 16v head.

Inlägg av qwkswede »

Hello guys.
I dont' get too far with the search tool in this forum. So I'll just ask you guys to help me out.

I have my 16v head apart and sitting on my work bench. I want to port it and improve airflow for my turbo application. I will do the port work myself, and find a local shop to measure the port flow when I am done, to make sure the cylinders are balanced, and have an idea about flow at various valve lift.

Does anybody have some flow bench data for the Volvo 16v heads? Before and after porting would be nice. I want something to shoot for.

Are there any pictures of ports, or advice on where I should concentrate my efforts to improve flow. And hopefully not hurt the flow.

I have ported a few heads in my time, but never a 4 valve head. My porting is always very minor. Things like matching gaskets, and smoothing rough surfaces. I want to do something more extreme here. And hopefully learn some good techniques. I would be thankful for any pointers some of the experienced Volvo porters can give here.
Senast redigerad av qwkswede den sön jan 04, 2009 9:45 am, redigerad totalt 1 gånger.
-Ken Lanham
Broomfield, Colorado, USA
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
Användarvisningsbild
Tommy Luhr
Forumsberoende
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Tommy Luhr »

http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?t=19725

std head flow 220cfm 28"
my race head 356cfm 28"
Volvo B230 -1064 WHP
Topplocksportning!
Dynamisk vevaxelbalansering!
Motordyno!
Chassiedyno!
http://www.overboostracing.se
070-3755169
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av qwkswede »

Tommy,
Thanks, this will keep me busy for a while. Great photos in some of these threads.
-Ken Lanham
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av qwkswede »

Here we go.

Bild

We are looking for a flowbench nearby so that we can quantify our work. But we are doing our best to get some flow through these ports.
From the reading I saw that the best gains were made by opening the small area near the valve guides. We cut the guides level with the port roof. And we removed alot of material from the divider near the guide to open this small area. Then we enlarged the inlet and smoothed everything between.
-Ken Lanham
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
Erland Cox
Topplocks-guru
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Erland Cox »

Forget the flow bench as it only will tell you what happens during the intake pumping phase and not what happens during intake ramming. You have to calculate the areas needed first to determine how much and where you must grind the head. Unless you are going to rev a lot the narrow part just before the valve guides is not a place to grind as it is rather substantial in size already. The best you can do is to get pipemax and learn how to use it. It will be your best USD 45 ever spent: http://www.maxracesoftware.com/pipemax36xp2.htm . Erland.
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av qwkswede »

Hey Erland,
I spent some time this morning reading the theory on your website. And I took a look at the pipemax website. I see that attention to the port area before the turn toward the valve is very important.

Does Pipemax tool help with cylinder head port shape? It looked like a tool for building exhaust header pipes. I know it is all related. I'm just not seeing how you use the tool for porting efforts.
-Ken Lanham
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
SWR
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av SWR »

qwkswede skrev:Does Pipemax tool help with cylinder head port shape? It looked like a tool for building exhaust header pipes. I know it is all related. I'm just not seeing how you use the tool for porting efforts.
It's a header program... which happens to give you all the cross-sectional areas for both sides of the head that you would need. Besides that, it gives you approx camshft specs you'll need, etc.. :)
Erland Cox
Topplocks-guru
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Erland Cox »

SWR already gave you the answer. Pipemax is really good and Larry gladly helps if you have any questions. Erland.
norrback
Forumsberoende
Kontakt:

Inlägg av norrback »

I made this one last week: http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?t=30357

/Andre'
power
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av qwkswede »

Thank you!, that looks very nice. I hope I can get something similar. The grinding is nearly done. The larger valves will be installed soon.
norrback skrev:I made this one last week: http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?t=30357

/Andre'
-Ken Lanham
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av qwkswede »

Here are some pictures of the finished head, now with the 36mm intakes, and 32mm exhaust valves installed. I hope to get some flow data soon. The shape at the entry is a little bit round because I will use round tubing for the intake manifold and squeeze it oval to make it match the port entry. I want to have a nice gradual transition from round to oval. Most of the material was removed from the roof of the port. The floor is almost untouched.

Bild

Bild
-Ken Lanham
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av qwkswede »

Here is a picture of the enlarged stock valve seats.
Bild
-Ken Lanham
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
Erland Cox
Topplocks-guru
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Erland Cox »

Looks really nice! Erland.
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av qwkswede »

We are considering filling in the hole near the intake valve guide with some epoxy. Also the low area on the long side radius after the intake valve guide. I saw some pictures here on savarturbo that showed people doing this. I think maybe one of your heads Erland. . . How important is this? Does it help improve flow?
-Ken Lanham
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
qwkswede
Lite mer laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av qwkswede »

Here is a picture showing the low area that I want to fill. I'm not sure if this is a waste of time, and maybe a problem if the epoxy comes loose. Any input is welcome

Bild
-Ken Lanham
1988 Volvo 745
12.21@119
Skriv svar