Icelandic rödblokk noobs need help

Grundläggande diskussioner om turbo-trimning
RunarN
För lite laddtryck

Icelandic rödblokk noobs need help

Inlägg av RunarN »

Hi savar
I'm writing on behalf of me and my 2 buddies, we are three of the few guys in Iceland building Volvo redblocks and we need some help from redblock masters like you guys.
We are having some weird problems with our setup, running at 1 bar the engine seems fine, boost comes on between 3k and 4k rpm and delivers smooth delivery to around 6800rpm.
When we turn the boost to around 1.5bar everything starts to go haywire, it does not seem to pick up the power we expect, the turbo surges at lower rpm when boost hits, and seems really likely to knock at higher rpms, if we even touch revlimiter around 7000rpm it knocks (cutting fuel+spark), if we adjust the limiter to 6000rpm it does not knock at all.
Our EGT temps are also out of control, 7-800°c at cruising and 900-1000°c at wide open throttle.
We have not measured our exhaust backpressure (but it is the next thing on the list) but we think that the small exhaust housing on our GT3076R is causing all our issues.
Our butt dynos tell us that we are not pushing much more than 300-320hp at 1.5 bar, and that seems really low for that much boost and bigger valves + porting.
If needed I can post pictures of our AFR and ignition tables.
Our current setup is
B21 block and std crank, std pistons, 8.0:1 compression
531 head, DIY ported with 46-38 valves and stiffer (not double) springs
3mm headgasket from KLR with cutting rings
KG2T cam (set up according to KG)
GT3076R turbo - .63 exhaust housing and .60 compressor housing
850cc injectors + 98 octane fuel
Megasquirt 2 v3.57
Cheap H beam rods
KL Racing intake
Pretty hefty intercooler - 2.5" tubing
modified cheap ebay exhaust manifold
3" exhaust
Any help or ideas from you guys would be greatly appriciated, feel free to write in swedish or norwegian as we understand that pretty well.
Thanks
Senast redigerad av RunarN den tis nov 27, 2018 11:04 pm, redigerad totalt 1 gånger.
Användarvisningsbild
Jens Gustavsson
Sävar Turbo Racing
Kontakt:

Re: Icelandic rödblokk noobs need help

Inlägg av Jens Gustavsson »

släng upp lite bilder på mapparna och nån data logg sen i motorrummet så blir det enklare att svara bra. kul med fler rödblocks trimmare utanför sweden :thumbright:
RunarN
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av RunarN »

Hi Jens
Hope this works, I have attatched some pictures of the engine bay, a log recorded at 1.5 bar max and our tune from tunerstudio.
If you cannot open this and want pictures of the log or tune please let us know.
Currently the intake is off for repairs, we will hopefully be able to measure exhaust backpressure next monday or tuesday.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eSlIm ... QsBDZuppMG
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lJ83G ... jZZwe51-b4
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
RunarN
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av RunarN »

So, quick update, we had a A cam laying around so we threw that in to feel the difference, MUCH better, at 0.95 bar it had better power than the KG2T had at 1.5 bar.
With the A cam we had around 1.2 bar of backpressure @ 0.95 bar boost. KG2T at 1.5 bar had 2 bars of backpressure.
Will be interesting to see how the A cam behaves at 1.5 bar.
Jens, what do your cams cost and do you have any recommendations for us ? We were looking at a KLR T3 as it's really cheap and this is basically a budget build, we are beginners just slowly trying learn and work our way through this.
The car will mostly be used for drifting and cruising.
We are also looking at turbo options, as the GT3076R with the .63 exhaust housing does not seem suited for this application.
whilliam
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av whilliam »

Hello you Vikings from the west!
The GT3076R is that a Garrett? (maybe Chinese knock-off?) anyhow, to keep Jens and others up to date, the inducer on theese is 57mm (times 76mm major) and the flow is fully comparable to that of a HX35 (also the turbine side is in the right ballpark, with it´s 60x55mm high-flow wheel)
A bigger turbine housing will give you a little more top-end, but the really best way to give you that is a bigger turbine wheel.

The compressor map tells us that the turbos "sweet spot" is around 400 Hp and 1.5 Bar of boost. (and this should not be a big problem for you to achive)
I would recommend you to first make sure that your problem is not misfire (easiest way is to set spark plug gap to 0.4mm) next i would check the cam timing (maybe KG recommendation is not the best)

Also i would recommend to check for boost leaks, that problem is more common than you could ever believe......
RunarN
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av RunarN »

Hey whilliam.
Thanks for the information on the turbo and the recommendations, our turbo is a knock off from CXRacing as the real thing didn't fit our budget ;)
We are running NGK BR7ES plugs if i recall correctly at a lower gap, probably around 0.4mm or a little bit lower, with a MSD box, the plugs always look perfect, and we never feel any misfires.

Now we did play around with the timing of the KG2T a bit and we noticed the power band moving around and such but never any significant changes, we could put it back in and try more but we kinda have a bad taste in our mouth after our problems seemed to disappeared when we moved to the A cam, and the fact that we have a hard time finding information on cars running this cam at 350+hp, and would like a cam that we can install after manufacturer specs and trust.
However if somebody can recommend a spot on adjustment of the KG2T we might try that.
Here are the settings we followed for the cam, the ones on the top (camshaft alignment), and we measured the intake valve on nr 1 cylinder
Bild
whilliam
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av whilliam »

Sorry to inform you that before anyone could help you any further, you must get to the bottom with the turbo measurements.
A Chinese knock off could have what ever wheels and parts in there, please disassemble and give us pictures and 2 diameter on compressor + 2 diameters on turbine.
In a turbo set-up the turbo is always the most important part.
RunarN
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av RunarN »

So i wanted to put a update here as we solved our issues, it was an intermittent injector problem all along. We switched to some green tops that we had lying around and the engine now behaves as it should.
Very unfortunate that the injectors started to behave at the same time that the A cam was put in, we will try the KG2T again and see what's what.
whilliam
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av whilliam »

Congratulations! Always nice when things are working as they should! But you have to admit that it sounds a little strange with 3 cars behaving all the same and it is all up to injectors not working all of the time?

If you want to go as far as possible with good driveability and high power in your cars, i think the most of us here want more info about the turbos (this is to help you in the best of ways)
Since they are not pure Garrett, one should not think that Garrett specifcations and flow charts is the same as theese.
RunarN
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av RunarN »

It's only one car ;) we are just three friends building/driving it. But the problem with the injector was very strange, we had even pulled them and checked the flow and spray patterns, might have been temperature based or something. However it's fixed now and we are happy.
We might pull the turbo but I think the best thing for us would be getting recommendations for a cam and turbo combo based on our setup now, however I think that when we get to a healthy 1.5 bar we will be happy on this setup for while.
Thanks for the help
Baxman
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av Baxman »

Når det gjelder trimming så er det mange forskjelliger meninger om hva som er rett og hva som er feil. Du vil derfor få mange forskjellige råd og meninger som er motsatt av hverandre. Her min mening:

Det er mye som B21, 145 mm råder, blokkmontert fordeler og tenningsforsterker som er gjort rett her og endel bärer preg av noob.
1. Det förste er grenröret. Vi har gjentatte ganger tatt ut 400 + på 940 eksosmanifolden og ser ingen grunn til å bytte den ut med grenrör för man SKAL kjöre med en vill kamaksling. Det beste vi har klart er 525 hp på 940 eksosmanifold med A/R0.63 turbinhus.
Ladetrykk og baktrykk vises her:
Rpm........Hp........Nm........Boost........baktrykk

Bild

Det er INGEN grunn til å kjöre grenrör med ett forferdelig langt rör bort til den eksterne wg.
Post #205 her: http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?770 ... ght=nochip

2. Downpipen bör väre så stor og jevn som mulig. Bildene viser en forferdelig downpipe slik jeg ser det.

3. Kjöling. Luften som kommer inn gjennom grillen på bilen skal presses gjennom intercooler og radiator. Her ser vi sväre hull på siden av intercooler og radiator slik at kjöleluften smiter forbi og fyller opp motorrommet i stedet. En elending lösning.

4. Intercooler. Markedet oversvömmes at billige kinaintercooler som er tildels meget dårlige innvendig. Se post #1576 her: http://forum.vccn.no/showthread.php?627 ... ost1087229

5. Dyser. De ca. 875 dysene med en blå ring er direkte dårlige for milde motorer. Genuine Siemens 630 ccm dyser med delenummer 961 gir alltid godt resultat og de er store nok til ett mildt oppsett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt-FxB3IQfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN47aSz1Xv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50tbG9_nfwc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfynoxL2RZI
NilsGunnarsson
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av NilsGunnarsson »

Sælir strákar! Ég er ógeðslega glaður að það séu Íslendingar hérna eins og ég. Hvar eru þið á landinu og hvernig volvo eruði með?
Skriv svar