1999 b6294s turbo intake cvvt

Grundläggande diskussioner om turbo-trimning
t456
För lite laddtryck

1999 b6294s turbo intake cvvt

Inlägg av t456 »

hello guys. jerry from uk. i am going to start t6 project I have the 2.9L non-turbo. i have a few ideas if someone can help me.
1. intake vvt, exhaust non vvt.... can i change the intake cam to volvo 960 intake to delete the vvt? or is it possible to control vvt by pwm output from ecu through openloop? maxxecu has closed loop capability but I want to use vems due to cost.
2. sump from volvo 960 b62304s.. can it bolt direct on the 2.9 block?

I have a machine shop to modify the pistons for low compression. I will calculate 8.5:1 the material to remove and then grind the face smooth. and want to use maybe precision 6262 or TB60 turbocharger. home construct inlet/exhaust manifold. going to run vems. target is 1.2bar boost up to 500hk

tak
jre
För mycket laddtryck

Re: 1999 b6294s turbo intake cvvt

Inlägg av jre »

Hi Jerry,

No, you can't put a non-VVT-cam into a VVT cylinder head. If you want to use the B6294T cylinder head on the B6304S you can just do that bolt on. Take the head gasket that fits the cylinder head (different cooling channels).
If you don want to control the VVT you can just leave it unconnected. Due to friction it will allways end up in the outer most position. This might not be the most optimum position. You can use an open loop pwm if you wan, but you will most likely only be able to put the cam in two digferent position (eiter end stop). You can put an exhaust VVT unit on the intake cam to get a smaller stroke (i am not sure if a smaller stroke will benefit).

The oil pan from B6304 and B6254 both fit the B6284T and B6294T. Make sure to get an oil pan from 95 or newer. After 95 they have the threads for the oilfilter. 94 and older need the threads in the block that niether B6284T, B6294T, B6254 or newer B6304S have.

Vems is not so serious. It lacks a lot of functions that is very nice to have. Consider using a better ECU. MaxxEcu is most likely a good choise, but there are other as well. Read the specifications before buying. The engine it self will be costly so adding a good ECU ill not add that much on your budget.

I seriously doubt that an old B6304S will sustain 1.2 Bar. The rods will most likely bend long before that. Cylinder walls will most likely also break in the B6304. The B6254 has thicker walls and will sustain more. Its better to use pistons (and rods) from B5234T. Used ones comes quite cheap.

What car will you put the engine in? What will be the use of the car?

Good luck!
//Jacob
jre
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av jre »

Regarding the B6294S engine: It is a very uncommon engine. Most likely the B6284T or B6294T is a much better an cheaper start of a turbo project. The B6294S intake cam (VVT) lifts higher than the intake cam (also VVT) of B6294T. Destroying a B6294S cam is almost criminal in my mind. The B6294S cylinder head is quite different to the B6284T and B6294T. The intake manifold ports differ quite a lot. Using the turbo intake on the NA cylinder head is far from optimal. All exhaust sides are the same though.
//Jacob
t456
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av t456 »

Hi Jacob.. the b6294s shares the same block as the b6294t. I wasn't aware of the difference in head, but not so different not to allow for a turbo?? I have seen someone use the exhaust cam off the b6294s and rotated 120° which will require a special cam tool made to lock that cam. the reason I want to change cams is the reduced lift on the inlet cam (around 1mm). some people have also put the b6254 head on the b6294s block which I believe didn't come in a turbo variant.
as I say this is just a cheap build to start with that's why I don't want to spend too much and if I break it I wont cry a lot :). I have a welder so I will construct the intake and exhaust manifolds myself. I plan to fit forged rods to the bottom I believe its the 143mm center to center which is longer than the t5 ones at 139.5mm but I will measure it when I take out the stock one.
I got the s80 a couple of years ago for £200 which was cheap and if I take the engine out and sell of the rest of the parts then I have a free engine! I have decided I'm going to swap the intake cam and I will post pictures.
thanks for the information on the sump I will get one from 1995.
im planning to use the engine on a 240 but first I want to run the engine on a stand before fitting it to the car.
t456
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av t456 »

regarding VEMS I reviewed it and it is one of the only affordable ecu's to give the O2 sensor controller, knock sensor and egt / iat amplifiesd built in. megasquirt you need to have a general motors esp (electronic spark control) to process knock sensor, you need lambda controller and also thermocouple amplifier to read egt. is there another ecu in that £500 range to offer those inbuilt capabilities? can you recommend one?
fugazi
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av fugazi »

t456
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av t456 »

so there has been slight change of plans :-)
engine to use is a 2001 b5234t engine. this one has the CVVT on the exh. cam so wondering if anyone has tuned the vvt system using cam position sensor output?
likely to start in may. I will post pics :-)
Användarvisningsbild
dundersmurfen
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av dundersmurfen »

Vvt på avgas ger ingen vridförbättring som vi har sett. Teorin vi har är att man använder den istället för egr ventil, dvs ställer den så avgaser kan flöda tillbaka in. Tyvärr bara en teori vi har
Mera brus i kubbarna! Bromsar/ mappar för öl
Pacman
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av Pacman »

VVT på avgas används för emissionskontroll samt knackreglering. Man kan med lite tuning få något snabbare spoolup med.
//Pacman
(Patrik Ståhl)
jre
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av jre »

Är det någon som har någon mapp för VVT? Det skulle vara intressant att se samt gärna om någon kan förklara de olika delarna av mapparna.
t456
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av t456 »

dundersmurfen skrev:Vvt på avgas ger ingen vridförbättring som vi har sett. Teorin vi har är att man använder den istället för egr ventil, dvs ställer den så avgaser kan flöda tillbaka in. Tyvärr bara en teori vi har
good! the other down side is to avoid pumping loss if exh. closes too late, unless the extreme of the cam angle is not going to have significant impact on efficiency.
t456
För lite laddtryck

Inlägg av t456 »

so i have removed the T5 engine and now trying to sort the wires for the sensors. will be doing some fabrication in the next coming weeks as i will like to start the engine first on the rig before i fit inside the car. so i will build a rig for the engine and mount the intercooler / radiator + fan, battery. but first need to focus on fabricating the inlet and exh manifold for now.
i can not post pics, how to post pics???
Skriv svar