b230 problems.

Diskussioner för erfaret folk
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Re: b230 problems.

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

Je probably a bit out of my price range unfortunatly.

PSA ill probably make one myself then out of mind steal, i had one made years ago for my lada for a single 45 out of steal, that worked really well. We have a cnc laser at work, and i am a fabricater for job... Just it takes time. I was looking today, 40mm exhaust tube, and 51mm tube will do the job really well.

will keep you all posted! thankyou!
Baxman
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av Baxman »

Mikuni HSR carbs on a Volvo Penta manifold will be good.
http://www.v-performance.com/products/air_fuel.html
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

thanks! they look nice!

I have bought the strombergs now, and also today i priced up with a firm local to get a cnc cut inlet manifold made for them, and its not worth my time to make my own, its extremely cheap ! I think he will do the linkages aswell if i ask him! I hope this unlocks some power from the engine.
Baxman
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av Baxman »

You are welcome and yes they do, don't they?

Good. The Strombergs are VERY underrated carburetors IMO. People have flowed them to about 240 CFM, but they can be "ported" and improved to flow about 300 cfm. The most important part is getting the needle profile right to get the AFR in the ballpark. Racing engines uses weak springs, no damper oil and very thin needles for maximum respons.
psa
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av psa »

I would have to agree, that old design was a homerun in many ways.
I have never flow tested them, but have modified a lot of them over the years.
I would actually take it a little easy with the spring and see how it is, even if you get the fuel curve to work both during acceleration and at steady speed, the slight softness in throttle response actually behaves as a mild traction control.
But the needles are probably going to need some work either way.
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

is there a factory inlet that suits them? Im just wondering.. ?

These 2 i have will fuel properly im very sure.... I cant wait to get them on the motor.

was looking at a mates triumph stag v8 today, and it only had cd150s on it !!
psa
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av psa »

It depends on what you mean, there's the twin solex manifold for Volvo Penta but they are not the same, and for modifying a stock the regular A manifold is probably the best. Some take off the entire face of the A manifold and weld a plate in its place, I welded short tubes and individual plates to them. I'm not sure which is best.
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

does the penta one not fit the head? i just found one on ebay locally its not dear as i thought it would be. I could modify the flange easily enough.

Bild
psa
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av psa »

It should fit, they used the same base engines. It's only the medium sized diesel engines that they make entirely on their own.
If it's easier or not to work with that manifold I can't tell, I've never seen one up close.
Thunderbo1t
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av Thunderbo1t »

Baxman skrev: lör apr 17, 2021 1:55 pm You are welcome and yes they do, don't they?

Good. The Strombergs are VERY underrated carburetors IMO. People have flowed them to about 240 CFM, but they can be "ported" and improved to flow about 300 cfm. The most important part is getting the needle profile right to get the AFR in the ballpark. Racing engines uses weak springs, no damper oil and very thin needles for maximum respons.
If you use no damper oil, would it not act as it has no accelerator enrichement, and just bog down? Or could the thinner needles compensate so much? Midrange throttle would then be pig rich? Just curios :wink:
quattro
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av quattro »

If you use no damper oil, would it not act as it has no accelerator enrichement, and just bog down? Or could the thinner needles compensate so much? Midrange throttle would then be pig rich?

If I remember correctly that's exactly the case. But this relates to SUs a long time ago, so it might not be fully applicable to modern Strombergs...
Anyway, When you step on the accelerator with no damping oil, the "cylinders" will fly up immediately and air will come rushing in. Since air is much lighter and more easy to move the air will outrace the gasoline wich results in a weak mixture.
With damping oil the cylinders will rise much more slowly. The velocity of the air passing through the opening will increase significantly during a few seconds. Thereby creating a much higher suction force which will increase the amount of gasoline in the air and thereby create a richer mixture.

Getting this kind of carburators to work well is a question of balancing how easily and quickly the cylinders will rise with the design of the needles. That getting rid of the oil would be part of the solution sounds strange to my experience (based on SUs). But stronger springs might well be.
That response time will suffer is inherent in the design, but also a question of getting the right balance.

On the other hand, since the need for accelereation enrichment is related to engine speed, I don't think that an engine that spends most of it's time at high revs would be that much affected by quickly rising cylinders.
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

well ive got my manifold now, im well happy with it, just need to mod the flange to get the carbs to fit and also to make a linkage for it.

MANIFOLD
Baxman
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av Baxman »

Thunderbo1t skrev: sön apr 18, 2021 12:54 pm If you use no damper oil, would it not act as it has no accelerator enrichement, and just bog down? Or could the thinner needles compensate so much? Midrange throttle would then be pig rich? Just curios :wink:
In a stock carburetor, yes it would. The stock needle profile is correct for a mild stock engine running high AFR and one needs damper oil then going from low load, high vacuum to high load, low vacuum to avoid a lean bog. For an engine modified for track use, this changes and some racers in England are running without damper spring and without damper oil but they have to use a needle developed for this.
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

so ive put the car back on the road, and i took it to my mate and he has checked a few things. We took ti for a drive with the laptop connected and found the air temp sensor was stuck at 170f, so we fitted a new one and the flat spot seems to have gone. The guy who had tuned it had turned the fuel over run cut on, and it wasnt working out well, but we turned that off and the car drives loads better.

So i have the carbs to go on it at some point, but they arnt finished yet. Here is the fuel tables etc from it though!

Bild

Bild

thanks!
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

whilliam skrev: sön feb 21, 2021 10:44 am
bmw2101 skrev: sön feb 21, 2021 12:08 am i had worked out the compression to be 12:1, im sure the chambers worked out at 41cc, but from what ive been told i gasket matched the exhaust and that is really bad?
Show us the ignition map in the ECU, some of us can verify it is matching your torque curve and compressoion ratio.

The port coming out from head should be a little smaller than exhaustpipe, reason for this is that it will form a little "anti reversion lip".
Porting it away does not aid forward flow by much and it lets the reverse flow freely in to engine. The effect is not like black and white but it will affect power a little in some areas where exhaust is out of tune.

Best thing is that you can fix it, :thumbright: you could build something better than the little irregular lip formed by mismatch at gasket area.

See this:
https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/the- ... an-engine/

so one of the changes i have done is this manifold with your suggestion. First with out even driving the car. i notice its not giving as much of a harsh exhaust note. Now either the air temp sensor problem, or the exhuast problem is now sorted. Defo thing this has helped lots! thanks!
Skriv svar