b230 problems.

Diskussioner för erfaret folk
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

b230 problems.

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

First sorry, i am not Swedish!! Now i run a b230A engine in a bmw e36, and im having big problems with it. I really need some help if you could please?!

It is,

b230a standard bottom end with new rings etc.
531 head that i have ported myself. Both inlet and exhaust are ported to match their gaskets. shaved about 1.8mm now.
lh2.4 with bigger injectors, and also a 63mm throttle housing grafted onto it. Ported to match the gasket.
cast exhaust manifold ported to match the exhaust gasket.
50mm down pipes.
solid lifters
adjustable pulley
kl racing t5 camshaft
microsquirt ecu with crank sensor, map sensor, tps, all properly mapped.

Now it is doing 166 bhp at the flywheel.

I was hoping for more, but i dont know anything about the t5 camshaft, and i hear bad t hings about it.

I have a print out of the bhp but the power dips at 4000, and comes back up at 5 or just over. Car i think is getting resonance in the exhaust with the cast manifold but im n ot sure.

can anyone give me guidance please?

i am really struggling

thankyou
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Re: b230 problems.

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

here is the print out

CLICK HERE

thankyou for looking
Användarvisningsbild
jompazx
För mycket laddtryck
Kontakt:

Inlägg av jompazx »

Im no expert, but to me it looks like a out of tune exaust like you said. maybe try a tubular one they are not verry expensive. is gasket matching everything thats been done to the head?
mvh! Jonathan Hall
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

welll no, ive done a little bit more, i took some material from behind the valve and also on the radius bend.

the cast manifold was used as its really tight to get the engine into the bmw with it being right hand drive, and also canted over. Ill try to post some pics later so you can see, but there is no chance you can get a kl racing one in, i had one and its MILES away !!

But do you know anything about this camshaft?> No one has some real specs onit
Thunderbo1t
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av Thunderbo1t »

I think you need an ITB intake manifold to make the cam work, or maybe something like this will work?: https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/in ... mdel-.html

Cam specs
Dur på körspel 300 grader
Kamlyft 12,9mm
Nockvinkel 108 grader
TDC lyft ca 4,5mm
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

i cant use that type of throttle system, i have to use either a 2 barrel carb, or the factory injection system the engine had from the factory. I rally the car and these are the restrictions.

I have got the lh2.4 with a 63mm throttle body on it though

this is the steering problem

CLICK HERE

so its quite hard to get something in there. I will however have a go.

So the cam is too big then? if it is what can i go for that would suit low down power?
Thunderbo1t
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av Thunderbo1t »

Are you allowed to use the B230E intake and modify it for electric injectors?
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

i am not sure about modding it but i can use that inlet and a head that matches. Is the b230E system a lot better?

Ill try to get some pics up of my head work, i am wondering if i have ruined the 531 for what i want to do .
Thunderbo1t
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av Thunderbo1t »

The E intake is better than the F intake, but E engine has K-Jet, as you probably know. Both have been made to do about 170Hp with less cam i think. Someone who knows this better than i should comment :lol:
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

right sdo here is some of the things i did to the head and the inlet. i port matched the exhaust and inlet to the gaskets, and i took some material from the head around the valve area. I have a new phone so i am just working out how to resize pics etc, so atm ill just link the pics

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE

I havnt pics but i opened up teh chambers too around the inlet adn exhaust i think it was. Not much just sloped them in a bit. Then the head was skimmed in total around 2mm. It was with the 300 deg cam giving 165psi cranking pressure. It has a cometic 0.65mm gasket on it too.

So can you advice please, shall i get another head which would be a 530, and go for the kjet type inlet? OR stick with what i have and put say a K cam in it? Or is there a cam that will work with my head and my lh2.4??

thanks!
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

Thunderbo1t skrev: tor feb 18, 2021 8:40 pm The E intake is better than the F intake, but E engine has K-Jet, as you probably know. Both have been made to do about 170Hp with less cam i think. Someone who knows this better than i should comment :lol:

i have no idea really, i just know about my mate he had a penta 2.5 engine, skimmed the head 2mm , i think it was on a K cam, standard valves etc, but he had the cast exhaust manifold, but split 48 delortoes. So the split means its only using one side of the carb, one side is blocked off as of the road rally rules. His engine was 156bhp and 170lbs at the wheels!

I dont want to run carbs.
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

CLICK for pic of the chamber work

the pics of the ports where before i smoothed them a bit too.
psa
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av psa »

It's usually always a bad idea to match to gaskets.
And on this engine the intake manifold is the restriction (if you haven't split it to port all the way through to the plenum) so the air will easily slow down in the head, combined with that really large area around the gasket it could be a problem.
Just an idea, but see how the engine responds to advancing the cam, it might pick up power everywhere.
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

its not been split i didnt know people did that.

is it best for me to get another head, probably will have to be a 530, and do the chambers?

I think this t5 cam as said above is too much, so what cam should i go for too?

thanks
Thunderbo1t
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av Thunderbo1t »

I lean towards the F-intake is a big limiting factor, both air flow and poor distribution due to reversion from "bigger" cams.
But if you are limited to the F-intake you should somehow match the cam to it i guess.
Skriv svar