Kl racing T5 camshaft timing.

Diskussioner för erfaret folk
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Kl racing T5 camshaft timing.

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

I have a kl racing t5 camshaft. i look at the specs and it says 300 degs, 4.5mm lift at tdc on 1 inlet.

I have timed this cam in before, and im sure i did it completly different, It was more like start of lift at 116 degs or something like that.

Is there another way to time the cam other than the tdc 4.5 mm lift?

thanks
Allx
För mycket laddtryck

Re: Kl racing T5 camshaft timing.

Inlägg av Allx »

Why would you want to time it in any other way?
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

because last time i did it, i didnt do it this way, and im not 100% i have it right now, it dosnt feel right. i want to check what i have done.
Allx
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av Allx »

I cant think of another way that is better then check lift at TDC. Indicator and a short piece of welding wire on cyl 1 lifter and turn the engine to tdc
Erland Cox
Topplocks-guru
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Erland Cox »

If it has 300 degrees at ? what lift and 108 degrees of lobe separation it should probably put it in at 104 Intake and 112 exhaust.
That is 4 degrees advanced.
First measure the duration at 0,050", lets say it is 260 degrees,
260 degrees at 104 degrees intaka lobe centerline.
Intake opens 260/2 = 130 - 104 = 26 degrees at 0,050 before TDC.
Intake closes after BDC.180-104 = 76 degrees. 130- 76 0 54 degrees.
26 + 180 + 54 = 260.

Erland
quattro
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av quattro »

Engines are different from one to another. Among other things, inlet and outlet flow capacities varies between heads and the balance between them is important for what cam to use and how it should be timed. Thus there's no guarantee that the recommended setting will be the optimum for your engine. But it will serve as basic point of reference, where to start.

The place to dial in a cam is on the dyno. It's the only way to find the best setting. And when you have tested a selection of settings, you will have to chose the best compromise between more torque, or more top end power. There will never be a setting that maximizes both at the same time.
Matti johansson
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av Matti johansson »

quattro skrev: tis aug 01, 2023 9:31 am Engines are different from one to another. Among other things, inlet and outlet flow capacities varies between heads and the balance between them is important for what cam to use and how it should be timed. Thus there's no guarantee that the recommended setting will be the optimum for your engine. But it will serve as basic point of reference, where to start.

The place to dial in a cam is on the dyno. It's the only way to find the best setting. And when you have tested a selection of settings, you will have to chose the best compromise between more torque, or more top end power. There will never be a setting that maximizes both at the same time.
But generally the cam in a Volvo will be advanced unless you have a way too mild cam. and that is not the case here. Erland is close with his estimation.
/ M
quattro
Forumsberoende

Inlägg av quattro »

But generally the cam in a Volvo will be advanced unless you have a way too mild cam. and that is not the case here. Erland is close with his estimation.

Yes, I too think Erland was pretty close and I didn't say he wasn't. After all, he's an expert in this field with a lot of experience. What I said was use it as a starting point in a dyno session.

Advancing or retarding the cam one degree will make a difference on the power- and torque curves. Sometimes only a slight difference, sometimes a more important one. To find out exactly where a specific engine wants the cam to be at you have to run it on a dyno. Same thing when it comes to the lobe centerline. In case your engine has two cams and you can adjust them independently. I am sure Erland has done this hundreds of times. That's the reason he can give such advice as he did. But I am also pretty sure that Erland would not ship an engine to a customer without checking it on a dyno, including trying out the best cam position for that specific cam in that specific engine.

You know all this as well, of course.
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

the car was on the rolling road today, and the cam setting was right. So i must have done it this way before, and not remembered, or just got it right. thanks
Matti johansson
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av Matti johansson »

maybee you did it by measuring degrees insted of mm. but came to the same conclusion....
bmw2101
För mycket laddtryck

Inlägg av bmw2101 »

yes maybe that was it! i remember something like 116 and 116 degs.

ive only just put the engine back in the car today, cant wait to get it running!
Skriv svar